What is Dermabrasion?
Dermabrasion is a cosmetic/exfoliating technique where a rotating instrument is used to remove the outer layers of the skin, mostly in the facial regions.
This technique of achieving a smoother and rejuvenated skin is currently gaining more popularity as it provides another alternative from the laser therapy which at times expensive.
Dermabrasion procedures help to attain a youthful, and smoother skin.
Why Opt for Dermabrasion?
Dermabrasion is a dermatologist treatment for solving many skin conditions such as;
- Acne Scars
- Uneven skin texture
- Sun damage
- Fine wrinkles
- Surgical Scars
- Age Spots
- Precancerous skin patche
Preparing for Dermabrasion
A consultation is vital before a dermabrasion procedure and during this, the doctor will examine your skin, discuss your medical condition and history.
You will have to stop taking any form of supplement since they increase the risk of bleeding and darken the skin. Accutane medications among others will have to be stopped.
Avoid sun exposure, smoking, and tanning before the procedure.
Individuals with radiation burns, inflammatory acne, recurrent herpes flare-ups, a darker skin, and burn scars may be prevented from undergoing dermabrasion.
Precautions before Dermabrasion
Once the doctor ascertains that you are a candidate for a dermabrasion treatment in India, he will advise you of the following;
- Take antibiotics to prevent bacterial infections
- Purchase a retinoid cream to promote healing
- Take antiviral medication before and after treatment to prevent viral infections
During Dermabrasion Treatment
- It is completely an outpatient procedure that may take less than an hour. The procedure is done under anesthesia (local, general or even sedation), but it is administered depending on the extent of the treatment.
- A dermabrader, which is a specialized instrument for dermabrasion is passed all over your facial region by a trained practitioner, while an assistant holds your skin tightly.
- Dermabrasion devices are utilized differently depending on the area to be treated such as around the lips, cheeks and so on.
- Larger skin sections are treated in multiple sessions.
What happens after Dermabrasion Treatment?
- Your skin will appear pink
- You will witness swelling, tingling or burning
- A couple of instructions will be provided to you depending on your skin. These must be followed as you change the dressings
- Expect a yellow liquid to ooze from the skin during the recovery period
The Dermabrasion Treatment Cost
Dermabrasion is one of the most affordable cosmetic procedure today. Therefore, the Dermabrasion Treatment Cost in India ranges from Rs.1100 to 3000 rupees depending on the treatment sessions, skin regions to be treated, the clinic among others.
Possible Complications of Dermabrasion
Dermabrasion is associated with normal side effects that fade with time, but just like other cosmetic procedures, complications like infections, a risk of bleeding, and excessive scarring are possible.
Normal side effects include;
- Changes in the skin tone
- Acne breakouts
- Enlarged Pores
- Loss of freckles
Home care after Dermabrasion
- Avoid sun exposure as this may worsen your skin
- Use mild skin cleansers
- Avoid scrubbing your skin
- A simple ointment is recommended
- Take in a lot of water